Monday 5 November 2012

Holograms

I made holograms using the method shown in the video linked in my last post to get a better idea of what it looks like in reality.


It worked well but it is very small so I decided to do it on a larger scale and using my own images.
I made a bigger 'hologram generator', this time the top edges measured 18cm but I kept the proportions the same.

They took a while to make as I had to edit all the photos to make the background black and I also had to make them so that there was an image on each of the four sides in the right place and the right size for it to work. I took series of continuous  photos so that I could create gifs with the pictures to make moving holograms.


Click here for the animated gif
Click here for this one


I need to make better videos/pictures of this working. The above video was taken using the hologram generator and my computer monitor at home which has a stand that prevented me from laying it down horizontally. I need to find a monitor that will be suitable for this so I can set up for pictures and videos. I'm also going to try printing the images and use a lightbox or projector beneath them to see if that will work although, I will still need the monitor to view the animated images.

I think the 'hologram generator' could be better if it were made out of a thicker/more solid plastic. The plastic I used bends a bit which causes the reflected image to distort slightly. I think this problem only appeared when I changed the scale as it made a bigger surface area. I also think black paper on the top and bottom might work better than white as the white does cause a bit of a reflection off the plastic. I plan to make one of these with more sides an perhaps a conical one too so I will try to improve them with what I've learned from this.

I found it really interesting that you can create what looks like a three dimensional object by using clear reflective surfaces. 






No comments:

Post a Comment